Monday, 27 January 2014

Meal Planning

After the juice detox and the realization that if I want to eat better I need to plan, I've decided to draw up weekly meal plans. (I'm not sure why the picture is of a bowl of cherries in this post, but it seemed apt somehow.)
I'm hoping, that by having what to eat decided upon, ingredients bought and written down, (right down to the snacks) that I'll eat less junk and more of the stuff I'm supposed to.

I'm not going to lie, this was hard.
Hard because I struggled to think up meals that we could all enjoy as a family that were also easy to prepare.  It seems that most of the recipes I came across took hours of preparation and that's time I don't have.  I also had a list of things that I wanted to include (see below) and it was hard getting it all in.  But the most difficult was the snacks.
I'm a snacking person, I like biscuits throughout the day.  I like crisps and chocolate in the evening.  I like to pick up little bits of treats and trying to find tasty substitutes was difficult.

So, here's my meal plan for the week. Yes it's a little bit....y'know, super organized, but I'm giving it a go.

I'm going to post up some of these recipes and if you have any that you'd like to share please say so in the comments.  Let's share the stuff that is healthy and taste gooooood!

Goals of what to try and include in the weekly eating...
  1. Whole grain foods (no white rice, breads, cereals or pasta)
  2. Beans (chick-pea, kidney etc)
  3. Handful of nuts several times a week
  4. At least one item from each of these groups every day, making up nine or more servings of fruit & veg...
    • Cruciferous : broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower
    • Lycopene-rich: tomatoes, red grapefruit, watermelon, guava
    • Beta-carotene-rich: squash, carrots, sweet potatoes
    •  Citrus fruit: oranges, grapefruit
    • Berries: strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries
    • Dark green, leafy veggies: spinach, romaine, kale,
  5. Fatty fish two or three times a week
  6. Lots of garlic and spices in all meals!
  7. No trans fats use coconut oil or olive oil for cooking.
And below is the plan - I hope it comes out okay in this post, I had a bit of trouble uploading. It's as close as I could get to my weekly eating goals and things may change around little, but this is mostly what we'll be eating this week...




Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
Breakfast
Berry Smoothie


Berry Smoothie

Berry Smoothie

Berry Smoothie

Berry Smoothie

Berry Smoothie

Berry Smoothie

Snack
Banana bread

Organic apple

Trail mix

Cherries & Nut mix
Cherries & Nut mix
Banana Bread
Banana Bread
Lunch
Mackerel and sun dried tomato on toast


Avocado, Hummus & spinach wholegrain wrap, yogurt
Poached egg, tomato & spinach on wholegrain bread
Wholegrain Bagel, tomato
 cream cheese & Smoked Salmon
Vegetable soup
(using any left over veg from week)
Wholegrain Bagel, tomato, cream cheese & Smoked Salmon
Poached egg, tomato  & spinach on wholegrain bread

Snack
Juice – spinach, pineapple, apple & lemon
Juice – cucumber, broccoli, fennel, apple & lime
Juice – apple, spinach, courgette, lime
Juice – carrot & orange
Juice – beetroot, parsnip, carrot & radish
Juice – spinach, pineapple, apple & lemon
Juice – apple, spinach, courgette, lime
Dinner
Honey mustard chicken, carrot and kale stew with sweet potato & broccoli


Roast Chicken, cauliflower cheese, roast carrots, peas and potatoes.



Salmon, green beans  and sweet potato fries



Spanish Shiitake Mushroom omelette, broccoli & sweet potato fries
Coconut and Cod stir fry with vegetables & noodles
Chicken and couscous one- pot
Beef & Veg casserole
Supper
Coconut balls
Banana bread
Coconut & apricot squares
Nut cookies
popcorn
Cheese crackers & grapes
Popcorn
(bake cookies, coconut balls and banana bread on Sunday - Freeze if poss)



Meal Planning Monday

4 comments:

  1. Your menu sounds a bit like the one I'm following high protein/low gi! It does fill you up but I've still sometimes had a couple of chocolates or crisps. I think you should allow yourself some treats but just not go overboard. Aren't sweet potatoes lovely? They are my new favourite food :)! Good luck with your healthy eating xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I'm afraid I can't resist the odd bit of chocolate and packet of crisps, otherwise I would be very miserable - they're just not on the plan! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo that all sounds yummy - especially the cod and coconut stir fry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I'm going to be pinching this. I am so bored of all the meals I make so thanks! And yum to the sweet potato fries.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...